It allows the player to have a single home base at a time. The base can be used for farming, storage, healing, shield recharge, and is the location of your NPC base employees. Base employees can be recruited from Space stations to fill their respective terminals that you install in the base. They then send you to perform certain tasks to unlock new blueprints, such as the exocraft bays, Haz-Mat gauntlets, and Advanced Mining Laser. Race tracks may be created and shared at your base.
Base building is available to all four game modes currently offered in No Man's Sky.
Acquiring a home planet[edit | edit source]
All planets except dead planets can be colonized. But first a habitable base must be located. Afterwards, you simply enter the base, and claim it at it's terminal. Only one base may be built at a time.
Locate habitable bases by:
- Finding them by exploring the planet surface. This is very difficult unless you happen to already be near one.
- Flying over a planet in your ship. This is much quicker than searching on foot.
- Using your ship scanner from space, sometimes a base will appear as a point of interest. Unfortunately this is not a very precise method.
- Beacons sometimes locate habitable bases, but like using the ship scanner, it is random.
- The most reliable method for locating a habitable base is to craft a signal booster, then select habitable base from the list. The nearest available base on that planet will be located. If you do not like the location, you can try again at another location on the planet, as planets can contain more than one base site.
Employees[edit | edit source]
Various Employees can be hired to assist you on your journey. They mostly provide you with blueprints.
- The Builder is the first to be hired, and sends you on a series of missions allowing you to unlock base building parts and other Infrastructure. They require a Construction Terminal to be hirable.
- The Scientist grants the player blueprints to different products such as the Voltaic cell, and Copper wire. They require a Science Terminal to be hirable.
- The Armourer tasks unlock blueprints that enhance your ability to gather resources, and your ship's weapons. They require a Weapons Terminal to be hirable.
- The Farmer offers a series of quests giving the player blueprints enabling farming. They require an Agricultural Terminal to be hirable.
- The Technician sends the player on quests to unlock exocraft, and exocraft upgrades. They require a Engineering Terminal to be hirable.
Storage containers[edit | edit source]
Storage Containers can be built for additional storage capacity. Each contains 5 slots, and up to 10 can be built. This provides the player with 50 additional slots if they choose to build all the containers. The blueprint for Storage Containers is given by the Builder during their questline. They may be recolored in order to keep track of where resources are stored.
Terminus teleporter[edit | edit source]
Claiming a base allows usage of its teleporter, which can hold up to four locations to travel to. These locations are the last four locations you have teleported from, but if you teleport back to one, it will be removed from the list and replaced with the next location you teleport from.
- The player must have reached the Trailblazer Journey Milestone (3 warps) in order to make use of it.
- There is no cost to teleporting.
- The player's ship is transported to the station, or near your home base when returning.
Building parts[edit | edit source]
There are a large number of parts that can be used to construct a base; many of them are referenced on the Structure types page.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Crops may be grown after learning the proper building parts from the farmer NPC. They can then be transformed into products to be sold, or sold in their raw form.
Grow times, and sell values:
|Element/Product||Grow Time||Base Sell Value||Amount per Harvest||Product||Base Product Sell Value||Product 2||Base Product Sale Value|
|Mordite||7 mins||13.8 units||Lubricant||20,625 units (2990%)||N/A||N/A|
|Spadonium||8 mins||178.8 units||Insulating Gel||44,000 units (615%)||N/A||N/A|
|Coprite||10 mins||6.9 units||Explosive||32,125 units.||N/A||N/A|
|Nip Nip Bud||12 mins||17,776 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Candensium||12 mins||171.9 units||Non-Ferrous Plate||30,937.5 units (321%)||N/A||N/A|
|Fervidium||14 mins||165.0 units||Poly-Fibre||19,250 units (116%)||Explosive||32,125 units.|
|Coryzagen||15 mins||158.1 units||Glass||30,300 units (638%)||N/A||N/A|
|Temerium||16 mins||178.8 units||Acid||17,875 units (249%)||N/A||N/A|
|Gravitino Ball||20 mins||8,250 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Albumen Pearl||20 mins||27,500 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Sac Venom||22 mins||26,125 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
Base sharing[edit | edit source]
You can choose to upload your base to be discovered by other players. In order to do so, you must activate the terminal inside your base, and choose the option to upload your base.
Player Bases[edit | edit source]
Building limits[edit | edit source]
There are limits to the size, and complexity of your base.
- The size limit is visualized by a large bubble surrounding your base while you are in build mode.
- The complexity limit is an on-screen indicator represented as a percentage. The more parts your base is made of, the higher the complexity.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Bases should be built in a strategic location if possible to facilitate farming and completing missions:
- Building a base in a system with 6 planets, with a diverse range of resource types is ideal.
- Build near resource deposits to make easier usage of the Autonomous mining unit.
- Build on a planet with water for easier access to Rigogen.
- Resources respawn after leaving and returning to your base via teleporter.
- Some decoration items have functions, with the ability to restore shields or health, grow carbon, get warp cells, etc.