It allows the player to have a single home base at a time. The base can be used for farming, storage, healing, shield recharge, and is the location of your NPC base employees. Base employees can be recruited from Space stations to fill their respective terminals that you install in the base. They then send you to perform certain tasks to unlock new blueprints, such as the exocraft bays, Haz-Mat gauntlets, and Advanced Mining Laser. Race tracks may be created and shared at your base.
Base building is available to all four game modes currently offered in No Man's Sky.
Acquiring a home planet[edit | edit source]
All planets except dead planets can be colonized. But first, a habitable base must be located. Afterwards, you simply enter the base and claim it at the terminal. Only one planet base may be built at a time.
Locate habitable bases by:
- Finding them by exploring the planet surface. This is very difficult unless you happen to already be near one.
- Flying over a planet in your ship. This is much quicker than searching on foot.
- Using your ship scanner from space, sometimes a base will appear as a point of interest. Unfortunately, this is not a very precise method.
- Beacons sometimes locate habitable bases, but like using the ship scanner, it is random.
- The most reliable method for locating a habitable base is to craft a signal booster, then select habitable base from the list. The nearest available base on that planet will be located. If you do not like the location, you can try again at another location on the planet, as planets can contain more than one base site.
Employees[edit | edit source]
Various Employees can be hired to assist you on your journey. They mostly provide you with blueprints and additional missions.
Storage containers[edit | edit source]
Storage Containers can be built for additional storage capacity. Each contains 5 slots, and up to 10 can be built. This provides the player with 50 additional slots if they choose to build all the containers. The blueprint for Storage Containers is given by the Overseer during their questline. They may be recolored in order to keep track of where resources are stored.
Terminus teleporter[edit | edit source]
Claiming a base allows the use of its teleporter, which can instantly transport the player to previous locations that have been activated.
Building parts[edit | edit source]
There are a large number of parts that can be used to construct a base; many of them are referenced on the Structure types page.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Crops may be grown after learning the proper building parts from the farmer NPC. They can then be transformed into products to be sold, or sold in their raw form.
Grow times, and sell values:
|Element/Product||Grow Time||Base Sell Value||Amount per Harvest1||Product||Base Product Sell Value||Product 2||Base Product Sale Value|
|Mordite||7 mins||13.8 units||Lubricant||20,625 units (2990%)||N/A||N/A|
|Cactus Flesh||8 mins||178.8 units||Insulating Gel||44,000 units (615%)||N/A||N/A|
|Coprite||10 mins||6.9 units||Explosive||32,125 units.||N/A||N/A|
|Nip Nip Bud||12 mins||17,776 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Gamma Root||12 mins||171.9 units||Non-Ferrous Plate||30,937.5 units (321%)||N/A||N/A|
|Solanium||14 mins||165.0 units||Poly-Fibre||19,250 units (116%)||Explosive||32,125 units.|
|Frost Crystal||15 mins||158.1 units||Glass||30,300 units (638%)||N/A||N/A|
|Fungal Mould||16 mins||178.8 units||Acid||17,875 units (249%)||Insulating Gel||44,000 units|
|Gravitino Ball||20 mins||8,250 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Albumen Pearl||20 mins||27,500 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Sac Venom||40 mins||6,875 units||1||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
1 Harvests greater than 1 vary and are dependent on Game mode.
Base sharing[edit | edit source]
You can choose to upload your base to be discovered by other players. In order to do so, you must activate the terminal inside your base, and choose the option to upload your base.
Player Bases[edit | edit source]
Building limits[edit | edit source]
There are limits to the size, and complexity of your base.
- The size limit is visualized by a large bubble surrounding your base while you are in build mode.
- The complexity limit is an on-screen indicator represented as a percentage. The more parts your base is made of, the higher the complexity.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Bases should be built in a strategic location if possible to facilitate farming and completing missions:
- Locating a system with 5-6 planets may offer a more diverse range of resource types.
- Build near resource deposits to make easier use of the Autonomous mining unit.
- Build on a planet with water for easier access to Kelp Sac. 1
- Resources respawn after leaving and returning to your base via teleporter, but only if going to a different system.
- Some decoration items have functions, with the ability to restore shields or health, grow carbon, get Warp Cells, etc.
1 Some 'investigate building' quests may possibly be bugged on planets with lots of water. The location may spawn under water and there may be no structure present. It is possible to receive new locations from the quest giver until a location is given on the surface.