The information from this article is up-to-date as of 24 July, 2018.
|This article/section is outdated. You can help No Man's Sky Wiki by .|
|This article is about the NEXT version of the Beginner's guide. For the Atlas Rises version, see Beginner's Guide (Atlas).|
This is a beginner's guide for No Man's Sky.
Controls and display[edit | edit source]
It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the game controls and Heads-Up Display before proceeding. You can access the controls scheme by pressing menu on PS4 or esc on PC, and then select Controls menu.
Surviving the First Day[edit | edit source]
You spawn far from your ship in a hazardous environment. You must make it to your ship in order to save the game and survive the first day!
- Take shelter in caves to recharge hazard protection. Don't stand outdoors reading :-)
- Use mining laser on rocks to get Scanner repair material.
- Press C to scan and look out for "Na" and "O2"!
- Collect (press E) yellow flowers, and recharge (press X) hazard protection.
- Collect (press E) red flowers, and recharge (press X) life support.
- Run towards your ship symbol on the compass.
Once in the ship, the ship recharges hazard protection; keep recharging your life support manually with Oxygen or Life support gel! Now you can explore the vicinity and repair some tools. Gather minerals to repair your starship's Launch Thruster and Pulse Engine before you can lift off.
- Analyse rocks and plants to detect elements (press F).
- Mine rocks and plants to collect resources (use mining laser (toggle G, LMB) or press E on flowers).
- Sit in ship and craft repair materials in your inventory.
- Use the Terrain Manipulator (toggle G, LMB) to dig caves or mine certain deposits.
Claim Pre-order bonuses[edit | edit source]
For players that pre-ordered the game for PlayStation 4, the bonus content is Alpha Vector and Rezosu Z65 beginner ship. For PC pre-orders, the bonus content is Horizon Omega beginner ship. For Xbox it's a
We recommended to claim your pre-order ship after you get the hyperdrive blueprint. Without the blueprint, you are unable to install a Hyperdrive into ships and cannot leave the system. (Verify if they patched that for NEXT?)
Claim your bonus content via the Options menu. Under Extras, select Redeem Bonus Content. The redeemed bonus ship replaces your current ship. You can redeem the bonus content once per newly started game.
Better Mining[edit | edit source]
Craft Hazmat Gauntlets for your Exosuit and an Advanced Mining Laser for your MultiTool...
Building your first base[edit | edit source]
After you head to the planet marked on your quest, you will need to craft a Base Computer, which requires a Portable Refiner. Then you'll need to build a basic wooden shed and find a Buried Treasure to discover new technologies. Later you'll be able to craft a Blueprint Analyser and get new technology blueprints. It is highly recommended that one of the first technologies a player buys at this point is the Teleporter blueprint, which will be very useful for interstellar travel.
Entering interstellar space[edit | edit source]
At this point you will receive the recipe for a Hyperdrive, and need to buy an Antimatter and an Antimatter Housing in order to craft a Warp Cell and leave your first system. Only after leaving your first system you will receive the recipes to craft Antimatter and Antimatter Housing yourself. Then you will need to craft these items and warp to another system again, where you will locate a monolith. You will answer a few questions at the monolith and then you have to fly into space again, where you can choose to explore freely or follow the storyline. At this point the basic tutorial stage is mostly over.
Getting your first Freighter[edit | edit source]
Once you warp to another system again, you will arrive in the middle of a space battle and need to take down 5-6 pirates. Shoot asteroids to recharge your shields and try to engage with the pirates one at a time. Do not damage the freighter or allies. After this battle, you can land on the freighter and talk to the captain, who will offer the ship's services to you for free, as well as one frigate.
Progression Beyond the tutorial[edit | edit source]
- Storyline or Artemis Path - unlocks the recipe for Remembrance and allows the player a chance to jump directly to other Galaxies.
- Space Anomaly - Provides the player with many useful blueprints. Journey Milestones must be completed here in order for Polo to supply any blueprints.
- Atlas Path - Provides the player with the ability to see black holes.
- Base building - Unlocks building parts and vehicles. Craft the Blueprint Analyser and scan planets for Salvage Tech. Dig up and analyse Salvage until you unlock the Round Room blueprint, that's the entry point.
- Factions - Enables the player to purchase new blueprints.
[edit | edit source]
- 15 Must-Know Beginner Tips for No Man's Sky on Gamepedia