|The subject of this article is from the Atlas Rises update.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 23 July, 2018.
Factions, also known as Races, are the sentient species in No Man's Sky.
Summary[edit | edit source]
While the Sentinels serve as a police force and are of unknown origin or true intentions, the three main factions (Korvax, Gek and Vy'keen) inhabit the star systems. Additionally, a fourth race of Travelers were introduced during the Atlas Rises era.
- The Korvax are a near-immortal sentient machine species. They value science and exploration. They also worship the Atlas and accept the Sentinels presence. They specialize in Exosuit technology.
- The Gek are a sentient amphibious species. They value commerce, and the ancient First Spawn Gek believed themselves to be the master race of the galaxy. They specialize in Starship technology.
- The Vy'keen are a humanoid sentient species. They are military-oriented with a very rigid honor system and a deep hatred for Sentinels. They specialize in Multi-tool technology.
- The Travelers are a mysterious humanoid species of free explorers that recently arrived in the galaxy. Their origins and purposes are unknown.
You can be affiliated with the first three factions mentioned above, but your reputation with e.g. the Korvax won't affect your reputation with the other factions because they are not hostile to each other. However you cannot have any reputation with the Sentinels or the Travelers.
Gaining Reputation[edit | edit source]
Reputation can be gained for any faction by performing certain actions:
- Completing missions given at the mission board in the systems of factions
- Giving race specific gifts to members of the given faction.
- Successfully completing the problems at Waypoints such as Manufacturing Facilities, Plaques, Ruins, Monoliths and Operations Centres,
- Killing pirates in the Factions territory.
- Rescuing a freighter from Pirates.
- Collecting Research Specimens in buildings.
Losing Reputation[edit | edit source]
- Attacking Trader ships of any particular faction.
- Attacking a Space station of any faction.
- Failing the problems at Waypoints.
- Attacking Freighters of any faction.
- Refusing to accept gifts.
Gameplay effects[edit | edit source]
Faction standing currently has the following effects:
- Availability of certain blueprints to purchase.
- Faction specific dialogue options
- High standing will grant the player aid at times when under attack by pirates.