Galactic Hub Defense Force
|The subject of this article is from the Crossplay update.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 16 July, 2020.
The information from this article is is up-to-date as of 16 July, 2020.
|This article was catalogued by Galactic Hub Atlas.|
The Galactic Hub Defense Force is the combined domestic police and military force for the Galactic Hub.
The Galactic Hub Defense Force (GHDF) is the combined domestic police and military force for the Galactic Hub civilization. The GHDF was formally established on May 24, 2018, in anticipation of the PVP multiplayer features announced as accompanying the NEXT update.
In the Atlas Rises update era, the GHDF served no in-game role. Instead, the GHDF strictly focused on vetting volunteers, accepting recruits, and preparation for NEXT (such as obtaining and outfitting the Riokazat S45 (the official GHDF starship in the pre-NEXT era).
During the NEXT update era, the GHDF acted as public servants and protectors of the Galactic Hub population. The GHDF occasionally acted in matters outside the Hub, such as defending other civilizations from an organized attack or responding to distress calls within United Federation of Travelers space.
The Beyond era has seen the GHDF's purpose increase in light of the improved multi-player potential. The GHDF have continued to evolve and face any issues, that have arisen. Distress calls are now handled more efficiently, and are responded to on average, in less than three minutes. The GHDF are constantly patrolling densely populated areas, such as colonies, and are always on stand by to deal with any attacks from hostile entities. The GHDF have also adopted a new fighter, as their official GHDF patrol ship, after the NEXT update modified the appearance of the Riokazat S45.
The GHDF have also assisted the community at large by patrolling the community event sites. They have been systematically identifying and targeting hostile players, that try to prevent others from completing the event.
GHDF operatives may retire at any time and return to "civilian Hub life," although higher ranks may be requested to remain in their position until a replacement can be found.
Distress Calls & Patrols
The GHDF's primary domestic responsibility is patrolling busy systems and responding to any distress calls. In the context of the GHDF, distress calls are, essentially, messages from human players saying, "Help, I'm being attacked at (coordinates)!"
Galactic Hub citizens can issue distress calls on the discord server, on the trades and services channel. The instructions on how to do so, will be on the pinned message on that channel.
This exosuit serves as the GHDF uniform. All active officers must use this when on duty. The helmet only applies to officers of the anomaly race, any officer that plays as any of the other races (Gek, Korvax, Vy'keen or Traveller) are not required to wear it. Senior officers of rank (ADM-7) or higher are not required to wear the uniform, but can do so if they wish. It is the responsibility of all GHDF officers to unlock all pieces that make up this exosuit. A reasonable time frame will be given to new recruits to obtain it.
GHDF Patrol Ship
This all white fighter is the official patrol ship of the GHDF. All officers will be HUbered to it's location once they have achieved the rank of Senior Chief for security purposes. Officers will have to prove themselves, before they gain access to the patrol ship.
The patrol ship may be flown while off-duty and used for all regular starship purposes. It must be used while on-duty, as it serves as a uniformed vehicle.
The Oculus is the orbital base that serves as the Headquaters of the GHDF and is available on all platforms in an undisclosed location. It is available to all officers ranked SC-2 and above.
The Oculus contains both training facilities, as well as most buildable tech, to help keep officers prepared and stocked up for whatever scenario they may face. It also serves as a social area, for officers to both enjoy and prepare in.
A video tour of the Oculus is available to watch here.
Joining the GHDF
To join the GHDF, you must fill out the GHDF Volunteer Form.
After filling out the GHDF Volunteer Form, the Galactic Hub Council (particularly GH Founder u/7101334 & GH Head Security Officer u/MrJordanMurphy) will examine your volunteer application and, if possible, confirm your intentions, identity, and any other relevant information. This is referred to as "the vetting process."
The goal of the application process is to select potential GHDF operatives who are looking to join the force for the right reasons. It also assesses your current skill and experience in NMS. However, your skill level won't weigh heavily on whether you're accepted or not, just on how much mandatory training you receive.
There are a few things that you can do to increase your chances of being approved:
• Get involved in the community. The Galactic Hub is active on most social media platforms, however Reddit and Discord are the primary platforms used. You will need a discord account to participate in the GHDF. We're looking for passionate No Man Sky players.
• Sign up to the census. We are more likely to accept applicants that reside in the Galactic Hub. We do check, so please ask a member of the Galactic Hub staff if you need assistance adding yourself on.
• Gain experience. We are looking for people willing to put in the time and effort. If you're a new player it may be worth waiting until you've been a part of the community for a few months. Whilst we train players, we do want to see a commitment from applicants to learn the basics.
• Check your details. If your accounts can not be found when reviewing the application, we will have no choice but to refuse entry. Please make sure that your details are correct when filling in the application.
• Don't be discouraged. Whilst the GHDF is the largest military force in the No Man's Sky universe, it also has the most stringent vetting procedures as well. Only a small percentage of applicants are accepted, and many are not on their first attempt. Consider the points above, and if you have any questions regarding your application contact the Head Security Officer MrJordanMurphy.
Hierarchy / Rank System
The GHDF is divided into a strict hierarchy. GHDF operatives are always expected to follow the orders of a higher-ranking operative.
Only the CIC, VCC, HSO or Admirals may issue promotions. All ranks can recommend promotions for any officer at least two ranks below their own. All Ranks are abbreviated and numbered, to make identification simple and quicker.
- Commander-in-Chief (CIC): This rank is reserved for the leader of the Galactic Hub. The Commander-in-chief has supreme authority over the GHDF, and has final say over any military action taken by the Galactic Hub.
- Vice Command Chief (VCC): This rank is occupied by the Galactic Hub's second-in-command. The Vice Command Chief has the authority to use the GHDF, in any way seen fit to protect and serve the Galactic Hub. If the Commander-in-Chief is unable to fulfil his duties the Vice Command Chief has full authorisation to sanction all military actions.
- Head Security Officer (HSO): This role is occupied by the Galactic Hub’s head of security. The Head Security Officer is responsible for all security matters relating to the Galactic Hub, and oversees all GHDF operations. This rank will run the day-to-day operations of the GHDF, and all active ranks will be required to report and answer to, this officer. This rank serves as the intermediary between the GHDF and the VCC and CIC.
- Admiral [DF7]: The rank of admiral can only be appointed by the CIC, VCC or the HSO. This rank can only be achieved if someone occupying the rank retires or is removed. This rank is the highest achievable rank, without holding office as the CIC , VCC or HSO. Admirals will be required to maintain GHDF standards, by assessing gathered intelligence and assigning tasks to be carried out by the appropriate ranks. Admirals will report directly to the HSO. Each Admiral will oversee one of the platforms.
- Captain [DF6]: The rank of Captain is the highest rank achievable without holding a position in the Galactic Hub Council. This rank will be achieved when [DF5]'s demonstrate resourceful, and independent thinking when working on covert operations. [DF6]'s will be expected to use their time undercover to scout potential threats and feed this information back to the admirals or Head Security Officer. Whilst Captain's will be unable to authorise covert ops, they will be expected to suggest potential operations to higher ranks. Captains may also be used to specialise in an area of expertise, such as technology or scouting etc.
- Commander [DF5]: This rank will be achieved after [DF4]'s show an ability to quickly assess situations, and make informed decisions. [DF5] is the first rank to be able to perform covert operations. [DF5]'s will be charged with infiltrating potential hostile groups, and gathering intelligence that could prevent attacks on any federation civilisation. All missions will only be sanctioned by the rank of Admiral or higher.
- Lieutenant [DF4]: This rank will be achieved when [DF3]'s demonstrate a high proficiency at finding and identifying hostile groups. [DF4]'s will be tasked with engaging enemy combatants, and retaliation attacks on hostile groups (in-game). [DF4]'s can call on all lower ranks (excluding recruits) to assist on in-game operations. All operations [DF4]'s participate in, will only be authorised by admiral rank, and higher.
- Master Chief [DF3]: This rank will be attained once [DF2]'s have demonstrated leadership qualities. [DF3]'S will be tasked with monitoring activities of foreign hostile groups through sites such as reddit (without actively joining), and reporting back to higher ranks. Master Chief's will coordinate with [DF2]'s to search for hostile members within the GH discord. [DF3]'s will respond to domestic and allies' (other federation civilisations) calls for help.
- Senior Chief [DF2]: This rank will be achieved after Petty Officers have proven their dedication to assisting the Galactic Hub's members. Senior Chief's will be tasked with training new recruits, and creating exercises to develop the skills needed to perform their roles. They will also be charged with helping to answer calls for help on the discord channel, and dispatching [DF1]'s to assist as well.
- Petty Officer [DF1]: This is the first attainable rank in the GHDF, and is achieved once recruits have proven themselves as capable and worthy, of being Officers of the Galactic Hub. Petty Officers will be tasked with monitoring hostile group activity on the discord page, as well as answering domestic calls for assistance, by Galactic Hub residents.
- Recruit: Recruits do not hold a rank, and will be tested and trained. Recruits will only receive a rank if they prove themselves, during their training period, which will last approximately two weeks. They will be required to answer to all GHDF officers, however their training regiment will be overseen by SC-2 ranked officers.
- Reserves: Reserves do not hold a rank or have access to secure channels. An officer can request to be moved to the reserves if they no longer have time to contribute in a meaningful way. If they wish to be re-instated they can contact the [DF7] in charge of their platform or the HSO. It will then be decided what rank they would return at. Non-active officers may also be moved to the Reserves at the HSO's discretion.
All new recruits are put through a rigorous training programme with senior officers, to make sure that they are able to effectively neutralise any threats.
All platforms follow the guidelines laid out in the training manual, created by the training specialists. The training deals with all areas of engagement including ship and ground combat, as well as extreme weather survival. With each update, all areas of combat are tested to make sure that the GHDF is up to date on all weapon damage stats.
The GHDF also has Tech Specialists, that continually experiment on multi-tool and ship technology. This allows the GHDF to operate with the best technology when answering distress calls. All officers are supported with advice on how to improve their equipment's potential, so that they can reach theirs.
All officers activities are monitored and logged by the personnel specialist. This allows Senior Officers to recognise the achievements and milestones reached by all new recruits. It also allows support to be given to those who may need it.
Terms of Engagement
The GHDF have 5 possible Terms of Engagement (ToE) tiers, which are applied depending on the current security climate in the Galactic Hub. Unless you have reason to believe otherwise, such as direct communication from a higher ranking operative, always assume that the GHDF is operating on the Atlas ToE.
- Vy'keen ToE: If a threat to the Hub or its citizens is perceived/detected, destroy it immediately unless told otherwise.
- Sentinel ToE: If a threat to the Hub or its citizens is perceived/detected, disable it (such as getting a starship to the "leaking plasma and smoking" stage). Destroy only if necessary.
- Atlas ToE: If a threat is perceived, attempt to communicate with it. Determine intentions / de-escalate the situation. Disable and destroy only if necessary.
- Gek ToE: If a threat is perceived, do not engage unless actual hostilities are witnessed (ie firing on another player). Attempt communication first; determine intentions / de-escalate. Disable and destroy only if necessary.
- Korvax ToE: Engage hostile targets only in self-defense or when specifically called by a citizen.
Official Media Outlets
- 2018, June 6 - Kotaku published an article, "No Man's Sky Players are Volunteering to be Space Cops", which talks about the formation of the Galactic Hub Defense Force.
- 2018, June 13- Kotaku published an article, "No Man's Sky's Latest Trend - Elaborate Espionage", which references the Galactic Hub Defense Force, and a Security Office investigation.
- 2019, August 29 - This Is the Player Who Runs the Largest Spy Agency in No Man’s Sky, an article focused on MrJordanMurphy's work in the Galactic Hub Security Office, and the Galactic Hub Defense Force.
- 2018, September 26 - Cracked published an article, "6 Delightfully Wholesome Ways to Play Famous Video Games". The article includes a section about the Galactic Hub and the Galactic Hub Defense Force.
- 2019, April 1 - Galactic Media Services, First Issue by Greylegion44. References to Hub involvement in the Federation and to the GHDF.
- 2019, April 7 - Galactic Media Services, Second Issue by Greylegion44. References to the GHDF and to new members of the Federation.
- 2019, May 5 - The Euclid Times, Issue 4 by Parallax_11. Topics include recent Federation events, an ad for the GHDF, and the beginning of aerial mapping on Mount Loper.
- 2019, Nov 29 - Celestial Times Edition 1 by ItzRazorFang. Topics include intervention of the GHDF against griefers on the community event planets.
- 2020, Jan 18- Celestial Times Edition 2 by ItzRazorFang. Topics include the GHDF providing security for Unification day, and the HSO MrJordanMurphy winning the Unification day PVP tournament.
- 2020 Feb 24 - In The Cafe by DG_Squared. Features an interview with MrJordanMurphy talking about security, and the role of the GHDF in the community.
- 2020 March 14 - Sword Livestream - Into The Void Features an interview with MrJordanMurphy, MrSllim89 and BlackCatLair talking about the GHDF and how it operates.
If a player is not on this list, they can be assumed not to be a member of the GHDF.
|Username (Reddit, etc)||Playstation Network ID||Rank||Date of GHDF Acceptance (Year/Month/Day)||Officer Number|
|StollarS86||stolle25 / StollarS86||[DF2]||2018/06/06||4|
|zazariins||matthew71nsw / zazariins / galacticheritage||[DF5]||2018/06/24||70|
|Username (Reddit, etc)||Steam ID||Rank||Date of GHDF Acceptance (Year/Month/Day)||Officer Number|
|MaraSargon||Sargon The Grape||[DF4]||2019/12/28||92|
|Username (Reddit, etc)||XBox Live ID||Rank||Date of GHDF Acceptance (Year/Month/Day)||Officer Number|
|TPHaze||THE PILOT HAZE||[DF2]||2020/04/23||107|