No Man's Sky is not a multiplayer game, however, the Atlas Rises update added a feature called Joint Exploration which allows the ability to see other players visualized as strange floating orbs. As well as meta element, it is possible to rename, and share creatures, planets, moons, and star systems. Other players will be able to see that you have discovered and named that creature if they come across it in their journey.
Release differences[edit | edit source]
- Since the Foundation and PathFinder updates, players can share created bases, racetracks, and leave messages for other players on planet surfaces and in bases.
- With the Atlas Rises release, players can see other players on their platform (PC or PS4) in the form of a floating orb.
Joint Exploration[edit | edit source]
- Visualised by floating orbs (called "Glitches"), up to 16 players can see and communicate with one another, and explore the universe together.
- While interaction is very limited, VOIP (Voice over IP) allows proximity based voice chat with other nearby explorers.
- Use portals to quickly travel to more populated planets, or to meet up with friends.
- The orbs can be seen across the different game modes.
Discoveries[edit | edit source]
- Systems, Planets, Moons, Flora, and Fauna can all be named and seen by other players.
Base Sharing[edit | edit source]
- Player bases can be found on planets, uploaded and downloaded on the Steam version only. On PS4, players are only able to find player bases.
- Creative mode allows you to visit downloaded player bases at any time from the main menu.
Race Tracks[edit | edit source]
Once a base is built, a racetrack can be created on the home planet's surface. You may then race on your own circuit to create a best time for other players to compete against.
Messages[edit | edit source]
A Communications Station can be used to leave a short message for other players.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- Before the game was released, it was heavily implied that the game was going to involve seeing and minor interaction with other players.