No Man's Sky
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 22 November, 2018.
No Man's Sky, previously codenamed Project Skyscraper, is a procedural science fiction game developed by English developer Hello Games out of Guildford, UK. Hello Games is best known for their Joe Danger series, and is bringing their unique development style to No Man's Sky. The game will feature planetary exploration, deep oceans, space-based battles, predators and prey, and much more across various procedurally-generated worlds. Each world will have its own ecosystems, rewards, and dangers, leading the player through the four core pillars of the game: Explore, Fight, Trade, and Survive.
It was released in North America on 9 August 2016 and in Europe on 10 August for PS4 and on 12 August for the PC community. It was released on Xbox One and WeGame on 24 July 2018.
Features[edit | edit source]
- 18 Quintillion planets - The game universe contains 2^64 (18.446.744.073.709.551.616) planets (18 quintillion in US terms, 18 trillion in UK terms), each one unique and unexplored.
- Nearly infinite play time - Having 18 quintillion planets, players would need more than 570 billion years to explore every planet, if they stay for one second on each planet.
- A truly open universe - If you can see it, you can go there. You can fly seamlessly from the surface of a planet to another, and every star in the sky is a sun that you can visit.
- Exploration is seeing things that no-one else has ever seen before - Every creature, geological formation, plant and starship is unique.
- Survive on a dangerous frontier - You are alone and vulnerable, and will face threat everywhere, from deep space to thick forests, barren deserts to dark oceans.
- Build for an epic journey - Collect precious materials and trade them for better spacecraft and upgrades for your suit and equipment and prepare for your journey to the centre of the galaxy.
- 65daysofstatic soundtrack - Our favourite band, 65daysofstatic, is producing a soundtrack album especially for No Man's Sky, which will be featured in the game as a procedurally generated soundscape.
- A shared universe - Choose to share with other players your discoveries on a map of the galaxy. Strike out for unexplored frontiers or build your strengths in known space.
Updates[edit | edit source]
The game has had a series of major updates and patches since release, greatly expanding upon the original gameplay:
- The Foundation update, which added base building, new game modes, new materials, purchasable freighters and the first galaxy regeneration
- The Pathfinder update, which added land vehicles, online base sharing, and ship/weapon classes
- The Atlas Rises update, which added a new story, better graphics, new planets, a new alien race, the first form of multiplayer, and the second galaxy regeneration
- The NEXT update, which added new multiplayer interactions, including PvP and co-op base building and exploration, the option to play in third person, and the third galaxy regeneration
- The Abyss update, which added many expanded underwater features, including an exocraft submarine.
- The Visions update, which added new biome types and many different land features
System requirements[edit | edit source]
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i3
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870
- Storage: 10 GB available space
Languages[edit | edit source]
No Man's Sky is translated into various languages, although British English is considered as the official language due to Hello Games' location, and it is also the default language for the game.
- Brazilian Portuguese
- English (British English)
- Latin American Spanish
- Simplified Chinese
- Traditional Chinese
- US English
The game itself does not present an option for language change, but it can be done in various ways:
- In Steam it can be easily changed by going into the Properties/Language setting of the game. Please note the selection is region specific, so if the player located in the EU, they cannot choose Latin American Spanish and US English.
- On PC, in the TKGAMESETTINGS.MXML game file by editing the following: <Property name="LanguageSetting" value="default" />. The "default" can be changed to "USEnglish", "LatinAmericanSpanish" or to any other language, as all the language files are installed. Please note the language name must be written without space between the words.
Awards[edit | edit source]
- 2017 Game Developers Choice Award for Innovation
References[edit | edit source]
- Creating No Man's Sky's Infinite Soundtrack on YouTube
- No Man’s Sky ‘Next’ update teased, game headed to Xbox One on Polygon
- Making Sense of No Man's Sky's Massive Universe ( -
- No Man's Sky Players Would Need 5 Billion Years to Explore Every Planet for 1 Second () - Retrieved 11 July 2016.