No Mans Sky Wiki:Explained - Categories
|The subject of this article is from the Synthesis update.
The information from this article is up-to-date as of 18 February, 2020.
The information from this article is is up-to-date as of 18 February, 2020.
Categories are a method of grouping pages.
Categories are used to group similar pages, and also to provide an ownership tree for discovered objects. Each regular page should have at least one category.
The categories for each page are displayed at the bottom of the page, and by convention, are the last bit of code you see when editing a page.
Categories take one of the following forms, where xxx is the actual category name, and the | indicates a sorting value:
[[Category: xxx]] [[Category: xxx | ]]
What Do I Need to Do?[edit source]
There are two easy steps to creating categories and their related pages:
- add the hardcoded category (if needed) and save your page
- select the new category, and create a matching category page if needed
Everything else below? Just examples and specific details!
Examples for the Brave[edit source]
For the following examples, we will assume the following objects:
- Galaxy: Euclid
- Region: Cewhea Mass
- Stars: AGT Cel-Cew Beta, AGT Cel-Cew Alpha
- Planets Cel-Cew Beta I
- Moon: Cel-Cew Beta I-A
- Starship: Robeok's Decree DZ8
- Creature: B. Bigvoae
- Multi-tool: Overloaded Voltage Compressor
- Base: CELAB Galactic Brewski Cel-Cew
Expected categories[edit source]
Class 1[edit source]
Class 1 discovery pages should include one hardcoded name entry, and that should match the name of the page, followed by the sort bar.
|Page Type||Hardcoded Name||Hardcoded Text||Example||Automatic Infobox||Notes||Actual page|
|Region||name of region||
Category: Cewhea Mass |
|use sort bar||Cewhea Mass|
|Star system||name of star||
Category: AGT Cel-Cew Beta |
|civilized||use sort bar||AGT Cel-Cew Beta|
|Planet||name of planet||
Category: Cel-Cew Beta I |
|civilized||use sort bar||Cel-Cew Beta I|
|Moon||name of moon||
Category: Cel-Cew Beta I-A |
|civilized||use sort bar||Cel-Cew Beta I-A|
Class 2[edit source]
Class 2 discovery pages require NO hardcoded name entries. Instead, infobox parms will be used to create automatic categories.
|Page Type||Hardcoded Name||Hardcoded Text||Example||Automatic Infobox||Notes||Actual Page|
|Starship||Starship - <type>||
Category: Starship - Shuttle
|system, civilized||Robeok's Decree DZ8|
Category: Multi-tool Rifle
|system, civilized||Overloaded Voltage Compressor|
|Creature||planet, genus||B. Bigvoae|
|Base||planet, civilized||automatic Base category||CELAB Galactic Brewski Cel-Cew|
Matching Category pages[edit source]
Items of Class 1 should also have a matching Category page created. After creating the primary page, click the named category at the bottom of the page (it will probably be in red) and then select the proper Category template.
There are four options currently available, and an example of each:
- Planet Category - Category:Cel-Cew Beta I
- Moon Category - Category:Cel-Cew Beta I-A
- Region Category - Category:Cewhea Mass
- Star System Category - Category:AGT Cel-Cew Beta
Just fill in the correct fields and save.
Matching Category Examples[edit source]
We will refer to the original category as the 'owner', and the resulting category page will contain four sections. Suppose we are looking at a category page for the Orion Arm.
1) a brief description of the owner
- Example: This category is for content related to the Orion Arm region.
2) a list of Subcategories of other Class 1 pages that "belong" to the owner
- Example: Betelgeuse and Sol would be listed, as they are stars within the Orion Arm
3) a list of pages that belong to the same category as the owner. In many cases, the only item listed here will BE the owner. The exception is Class 2 items, as these have no category of their own. Instead, they are assigned to the same category as their owner. Multi-tools and starships are assigned to their star system, while creatures and bases are assigned to the planet/moon where they can be found.
4) two categories that further describe the owner:
- The first describes the group of objects that the owner is part of.
- Example: The Orion Arm is a member of the Regions category.
- the second is the object that "owns the owner"
- Example: The Orion Arm is, in it's turn, owned by the Milky Way galaxy
Section 2 Additional Information[edit source]
In section two, each item is preceded by either a white or blue triangle. If blue, the item can be expanded, showing the Class 1 objects that it owns. For example, if Sol is expanded, entries for Earth and Mars are displayed. Since Earth also has a blue triangle, IT can be expanded as well, showing Luna.
In addition, each entry is followed by a description in parenthesis. The "C" value indicates how many categories can be found "underneath" the object. The "P" value indicates how many pages can be found.
- Example: The Earth entry shows (1 C, 3 P). This includes the category of Luna, plus three pages for Earth, Luna, and a Panda creature.