Power is used in base building.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Generation[edit | edit source]
The following base building products will generate power:
Additionally, Batteries can be used to store excess power and deliver it when a generator is offline, such as a Solar Panel during the nighttime.
Electrical grid[edit | edit source]
Devices that generate and consume power can be connected together with Electrical Wiring, forming a power grid.
All base items, whether they need power or not, will consume energy from one wire as long as all objects are connected. This means that, as long as your whole base is connected by objects that stick to each other, you only need one wire to run into the entire building. Placing a generator without connecting it to any wiring will not supply power to the grid.
Consumption[edit | edit source]
The following base building products require power to run:
|Base building product||Power consumption |
|Base Teleport Module||20|
|Galactic Trade Terminal||15|
|Hazard Protection Unit (base building)||10|
|Large Hydroponic Tray||20|
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Generator choice[edit | edit source]
- Long-term use of the Biofuel Reactor is not recommended, due to high fuel costs (1,200 Condensed Carbon per generator per hour).
- Solar Panels paired with Batteries work well for a base positioned anywhere on a planet's surface.
- Install enough Solar Panels to exceed the power requirements of your base. Ensure that excess power charges the Batteries enough to power the base through a 15-minute nighttime cycle.
- One Solar Panel provides 50kP of power. For every 50kP required by your base, install two Solar Panels and one Battery.
- Electromagnetic Generators are the most efficient, as they supply constant power with no required fuel and no interruptions. However, they can only be placed on power generating hotspots, located using the Survey Device upgrade to the Analysis Visor in the multitool. This limits your choice of locations at which you can build bases powered by Electromagnetic Generators.
Release history[edit | edit source]
- Added new power generation base parts: Biofuel Reactors, Solar Panels, Electromagnetic Generators and Batteries. Each offers a different way to generate power for your base.
- Added wiring, allowing you to connect base parts that need power to your generators.
- Removed the manual fueling of many base technologies and replaced it with power grid requirements.
- Added power requirements to existing parts such as lights.
- Added a range of logic gates and switches, allowing for creative control of powered parts.
- Added new exocraft-sized doors that can be powered to open and close automatically as you approach.
- Added a powered Sphere Generator that allows players to generate large movable spheres.
- Beyond 2.09.1 - Fixed a number of issues that prevented hydroponic trays from working with base power. Fixed Health, Power and Shield stations not receiving power aboard freighters.