The information from this article is up-to-date as of 22 November, 2018.
Space station is an orbiting platform found in most star systems.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Space station is a large alien spaceport that can be docked with a starship and serve as trading centre, mission hub, and a means to travel to habitable bases.
Details[edit | edit source]
Docking at a space station involves flying into the station tractor beam, a blue shaft of light coming out of the space station opening. This will automatically pull the ship inward and through a corridor that can vary in length before landing it on one of the eight landing pads.
There are two ramps in the back of the space station each leading to an open marketplace with multiple beings.
When leaving the space station the Pulse Engine will not work until the player's starship a safe distance away. Each space station has a randomly generated length of the hallway.
Features[edit | edit source]
The following features can be found in a space station:
- Appearance Modifier
- Base Teleport Module
- Galactic Trade Terminals
- Technology Merchants for exosuit, exocraft, starship and Multi-tool upgrades
- A guild representative and a faction representative who can hand out missions
Special[edit | edit source]
There are special space stations that show up as a spacial anomaly, they appear in addition to the regular one.
- Atlas Interface: Will open up Alien Anomalies, you'll need to find a monolith that will change your Atlas's guidance co-ordinates to an Atlas Interface.
- This space station has a long walkway to an altar where you can talk with the atlas; some Atlas Interfaces will have two Warp Cells at the foot of the altar. You can also learn some new alien words by walking around the station onto the glowing dots.
- Space Anomaly: this space station includes three NPCs named Polo, Nada and Quicksilver Synthesis Companion, who speak the player's language rather than that of their race.
- Polo will give the player bonuses if they have reached certain progress on their in-game achievements and can be talked to afterward using 20 Carbon to buy a blueprint for a choice of ship, suit, or Multi-tool.
- Nada will ask you where you want to go and you can respond:
- Quicksilver Synthesis Companion is involved in the Community Research and offers various items in exchange for Quicksilver
- On the right side of the station, there is a new Multi-tool on offer for the player
Abandoned station[edit | edit source]
Abandoned station can be found in abandoned systems. This station can be identified from the outside by having pieces of metal broken and floating in space, and having a red tractor beam instead of a blue one. Inside, it has goo similar to Abandoned Buildings and devoid of any life.
In contrast to a normal space station with its open marketplace architecture, abandoned station features the architecture and the layout of space station prior to the NEXT update, i.e. two ramps leading to one room with an attached room each. The attached room requires an AtlasPass v3 key and seems to be without damage.
Buying and trading[edit | edit source]
One of the many things you can do in space stations is trade with the NPC characters inside. You can trade items for units or buy items, ships, etc. from them. These transactions can be carried out in person, or electronically using a trade terminal. Although you can find resources and items on planets, sometimes you will only be able to buy them on a space station using units. Space stations with smaller runways will have more traders than ones with longer runways.
Blueprints may be purchased from the vendor on the right side of the station, in exchange for Nanite Clusters. The types of blueprints offered depend on the species that controls the system.
Attacking[edit | edit source]
While you can attack a station, it cannot actually be destroyed. If attacked long enough, eventually Sentinel starships will attack you.
As an integral part of the game, it will always remain in orbit around its host star system.
Name generation[edit | edit source]
The name of space station is procedurally generated by combining the name of the star system (∗ marks its location) in which the space station is located, and one of the following suffixes.
- ∗ Station
- ∗ Orbital
- ∗ Station
- ∗ Station Alpha
- ∗ Station Beta
- ∗ Station Omega
- ∗ Cycler
- ∗ Rendezvous
- ∗ Hub
- ∗ Terminus
- ∗ Station Sigma
- ∗ Junction
- ∗ Station Tau
- ∗ Exchange
- ∗ Prime
- ∗ Station Minor
- ∗ Station Major
- ∗ Platform
- ∗ Sphere
- ∗ Stellar Observer
Additional information[edit | edit source]
- The name generation and the sequence are extracted from the 1.77 version of NMS_UPDATE3_ENGLISH.MBIN game file.
While inside a Space Station:
- Pre-release information indicated that there would be five classes of space stations in No Man's Sky; the actual number is unknown. Each space station is marked with a set of symbols somewhere on the outside walls.
- You do not suffer fall damage
- You cannot draw your Multi-tool
- There is no drain on your Life Support
- Upon entering, your Sentinel wanted level is reset to zero.
- Entering will stop any pirates from pursuing you.