Recipes revamp project[edit | edit source]
Motivation[edit | edit source]
Following the addition of the cooking mechanism to the game in Beyond, a process very similar to refining (ingredients using a machine, transformed with a recipe having a name with a time/unit output rate), I digged into existing templates to represent those.
At first, I duplicated Template:Refine but found it suboptimal, as its parameters are hardcoded, making it hardly readable, hardly maintainable & not scalable.
All those oddities, being most probably the result of iterative additions by multiple people over a long period of time without liaising, are absolutely normal. This seeded the idea of revamping the existing mechanisms under a common banner, to:
- Ease readability, which also
- Ease maintainability, and
- Ease scalability (by copy-pasting with minimal modifications), if another looking-alike in-game mechanism was to be detected
Creation of the
PoC- templates[edit | edit source]
|Cargo table||Special:CargoTables/PoC Crafting||Special:CargoTables/PoC Refining||Special:CargoTables/PoC Cooking||-||-|
|Recipes query template||Template:PoC-Query Crafting||Template:PoC-Query Refining||Template:PoC-Query Cooking||-||-|
|Recipes query module||Module:PoC-Crafting||Module:PoC-Refining||Module:PoC-Cooking||-||-|
Ingredients are being defined with the help from Template:PoC-Ingredient.
As of 2019-09-30, the following templates/modules are now not used anymore:
- Template:Query crafting
- Template:Query refining
- Template:Query refining list
- Template:Query recipe
Considering that the old cargo table has been emptied and all old templates/modules are not being used anymore, a next step would be that all
PoC--prefixed templates/modules need to be stripped from their prefix (copied or moved) and all Wiki pages referencing those need to be bulk-edited for search/replace of the called templates. User:Ddfairchild acknowledged this and will get in touch with Gamepedia staff if/when deemed necessary.
Transition to production names (aka The Big
PoC- removal)[edit | edit source]
Starting 2020-07-28, non-
PoC-prefixed variants of the aforementioned templates have been (re)created.
The following table tracks their status (unlinked templates are either not existing or old versions, not part of this project):
|Recipes query template||Template:Query Crafting||Template:Query Refining||Template:Query Cooking||-||-|
|Recipes query module||Module:Crafting||Module:Refining||Module:Cooking||-||-|
Ingredients are being defined with the help from Template:Ingredient.
Potential needs[edit | edit source]
- If global recipes list needed, replacement for Template:Query crafting list & Template:Query refining list (+ associated Module:Crafting list & Module:Refining list)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A previous attempt at a unified template for recipe definition was Template:Transform. Following the decision to use separate templates, it was split to the current resources.
- As per Special:CommentPermalink/10248#comment10248, output of a crafting recipe shall not be displayed if
- Following Special:CommentPermalink/10523#comment10523, the Cargo tables have been stripped from the
-character, and modules modified to query the new ones.
- Following Special:CommentPermalink/10574#comment10574, switching the use of new crafting/refining templates throughout the Wiki has been greenlit.
- Following Special:CommentPermalink/10697#comment10697, switching the use of new repair/dismantle templates throughout the Wiki has been greenlit.