I just wanted to thank you for correcting my mistakes. I haven't posted anything to a wiki before, so it's all new to me. Hope I didn't cause too much trouble for you! --Traveller Fletcher (talk) 03:07, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
I may have reversed your change by mistake[edit source]
Hi. I may or may not have reversed your changes made on Condensed Carbon by mistake. Can you please check the page and see if it needs to be updated? My apologies. Kgptzac (talk) 02:23, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
Thanks from the Discovery Coalition[edit source]
Thank you for your contributions to the DC Page. I am currently overhauling the page with Links to pages containing Faction information & Recruitment to allow for ease of access. The entire page will eventually link to pages such as the CFO Faction Page. I am still new to the Wiki, and am very thankful for your contributions. Please continue to review my work if possible, and consider taking an active role as a DC Analyst.
Ayosenda S98 Starship Page[edit source]
Thank you very much for the beautiful layout you've created. I will most definitely be updating it with my knowledge of the ship. Just one question, though: What does the pilot box mean? Dusk118 (talk) 03:48, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Some of our editors record the name of the NPC pilot of starships they encounter. Check page HUB3-G-CC_Makonis for some examples. And as with any infobox, you can choose which of the parameters you want to use. However, the more of them you DO use the better <g> The best solution is to include the entire infobox on your page and if you don't know the answer or just want to leave it blank, then that row doesn't show up.
- One thing to note: three of the rows only accept certain values. And if you don't enter one of those values, the data won't show up.
- Type (Shuttle Fighter Hauler Explorer)
- Class (C B A S)
- Inventory (Small Medium Large)
- Ah, I got you. For the record, ship classes are all the same no matter what ship it is. I just so happened to have discovered an S-class model of that one (which I still have). Honestly, I wish I could go back to the star system I found it in, because it was THE best star system I have ever found, before or since. Problem is, I'm in the Hilbert Dimension now, so any new information is unavailable to me unless I completely reset my Normal mode progress, which I have no intention of doing. Therefore, info like the coordinates of the system are lost to me unless Hello Games gives me a way to return. Dusk118 (talk) 04:03, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hope you hadn't made TOO many starship pages that you'll need to go back and update with the new format <g> One thing to mention; you'll notice I removed the "maintained tag" and the "go back to Catalog tags". Those may be ok if you are doing a personal website, but you don't generally need to do that in a wiki as that information (as well as any changes) is stored on the History tab for the page. Ddfairchild (talk) 06:00, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Worry not, as this is the only starship page I contributed to the catalog, and it's one of only two ships in my fleet of six that I truly care about the most (the other being the fighter with the matching color palette as seen in the gallery). This ship left a massive imprint on me because of the amount of time I spent living with it, which is how I remembered most about where it came from, who flew it, and what the seller had in stock. Chances are I am never getting rid of it, and I've said that before in regards to the Ioganeio S45, but this time I mean it. The only possible way I could get rid of it is if I found the exact same model of ship in a much different color scheme. Dusk118 (talk) 06:05, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
Starship Catalogue[edit source]
First things first: Thank you for the formatting.
- Image: I personally did like the big image header, but the standard as picture in the table for the wiki is ok.
- Summary: Well it will be more or less the same almost every ship.
- Table Content: A Ship can have any Class from C to S, so i don't think it is necessary to write that. For someone who don't know much about NMS might think, every ship has a set class (and thats wrong).
- Same concerns to the Bonuses. The exact same Starships won't have the exact same stats. In lower classes they will vary more likely then in high A- or S-Class. Even in S-Class they vary quiet a bit. So i would rather say Max. Disc. [XY] Bonus, like Dusk118 did at the beginning.
- Please change this small things if its ok. Would also be nice to have the '%' prefixed in the Bonuses like 'class' is actually prefixed. Otherwise you always have to type it 3 times per shippage. And maybe program it like you just type S/M/L for the Inventory Size and in the table it shows up as full word.
- Also im not sure if the Starships are the exactly the same across PS4 and PC. Do you maybe know ?
And is it possible to colorize specific text ?
- All good points - here's my feedback:
- using infoboxes is something we try do to a lot, especially for pages where we have a lot of the same category. We try to keep the pictures in those infoboxes roughly the same across the wiki. The big image header that was being used doesn't always scale well based on the platform users may be using, and means the user has to do a lot of scrolling to get past the picture and down to the text. If a user wants to see a big picture, they can click the thumb in the infobox and check out the details
- Summary - correct, and that's not an issue. Gives the reader a very brief overview before digging into details
- Table Content Class - good point. The field is there, but you don't have to use it. It does provide other editors the chance to use it, however, if they are documenting a specific ship that they have in their inventory that does have a specific class. I'd leave the parameter in the infobox table, and just not put a value there if you don't need it. That way if someone copies the infobox from your page to ::create one of their own, they have all the parms listed.
- Bonuses - have changed to use the Maximum phrase and append the % at the end
- All good points - here's my feedback:
I noticed you've added a planet parameter. This one is highly unnecessary because all ships appear throughout the star system, whether they are piloted by NPCs or found abandoned. I would suggest removing this parameter, but make the NPC pilot parameter visible, since I also noticed that one doesn't yet appear in the infobox if it's been filled in. Is it possible to get this addressed? Dusk118 (talk) 22:42, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: The Planet parameter is useful in terms of when a ship can only be found at a Trade Station on a specific Planet.
- I have visited literally hundreds of Trading Posts in my NMS career. Every ship in the star system shows up at every Trading Post, but sometimes it takes a little longer for some models to show up. The starships are not limited to specific planets by any means, making the planet tag useless. Also, Speecker, remember to sign your posts using the tip shown at the top of the editing page. Dusk118 (talk) 23:07, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: Some Ships will come more likely to a Trade Station
Ah right forgot to ask this :D Where do i find what amount of inventory slots count as Small / Medium / Large ? is there Medium anyway (just Small or Large) ?
- Just pay attention to how many slots a starship has in comparison to other ships of the same type. In my experience playing the game and checking the stats of hundreds of different ships, the Pathfinder update gave all the ships a common pattern. The best way to tell what the size of the inventory is is to find an A-class ship and see how many slots it has. From there, you can easily determine whether or not the ship's inventory is small, medium, or large. And yes, Medium inventory sizes are a thing. I have an S-class fighter with 29 slots, which is 9 slots less than the highest slot fighters I've found, but I also have an A-class fighter with 19 slots (10 slots less than the S fighter). This is how I know Medium inventory sizes exist. Dusk118 (talk) 23:19, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: Ok but i don't really know what size which starship has. So can we just say for example 0-20 is small, 21-30 is medium and 31-48 is large ?
Starship Catalogue - Update[edit source]
- Image: Ah right, didn't thought of the scaling whch will be different for any user. Done
- Summary: Done
- Table Content/Bonuses:
- Thanks for adding 'Maximum' and '%' prefixed.
- The Maximum Damage bonus could be in one line by increasing the table width to the left.
- I prefer a capitalization for 'Bonus' instead of 'bonus'.
Point 2 and 3 are just a question of a feast for the eyes.
- Colorize: By this i mean i would make the S-Class Tag behind a Starships name Gold/Yellow, the Starship with the currently highest Damage / Shield / Warp Bonus in Red / Blue / White in which White is available anyway and other Special Ships in Green. Highest Bonus Starships will most likely have multiple tags. Different colors on those tags will simplify the detection of information they give you. Colors are seen directly and theres no need to read / look closely at the Tags behind a Starships name.
Another Point for this is that the Highest Damage / Shield / Warp Tag only One Starship can have or only as much Starships that have the exact same Bonus can have. If you think Gold/Yellow Tags for S-Class Starships are too many you could change the color to White so the highest Warp Bonus would be Gold/Yellow (or any different color) so.
- Unmentioned lately: The 'Back to Starship Catalogue' change to 'See:'Starship Catalogue' in Category is just fine. The Idea behind this was to be able to quickly head back to the List (the Starship Catalogue) after scrolling down the Page. Otherwise you would have to click all the way from the NSM Wiki Home Page again or go back to the previous visited website (Starship Catalogue) to get back to the Starship Catalogue. And second option won't reload the Starship Catalogue Page for every user to see what ships you already looked at or didn't looked at yet. So thank you very much for keeping this 'feature'.
- Finally my open questions:
- Those formatting things can't be done by normal users/editors ? (i don't want to have a bad conscience to push you more little work)
- Is the Tags Table ok as it currently is ?
- For the Inventory Size: you overread it or do i have to write Small / Medium / Large instead of just s / m / l to fill it out ? just a question.
- You've said you're thinking about the popup-image thing. So did i understand it correctly that actually there is no such thing in the wiki, but you too think its a neat cool looking and helpful thing you would like to implement and don't know yet how to make this working ? Remember what i said about a pure list of names ? I would love to see this kind of popup-image thing and i'm sure others in the wiki will do so and use this 'feature' too. At the NMS GH it is also asked by many to have sort of a preview for the Starships appearance.
Thank you very much for the support so far - sincerely Speecker
- And I thought my kids asked a lot of questions! (glad to help <g>)
- table width - when working with infobox tables, the CSS under the covers does more to adjust the table size than you can change by just adjusting the width of the table. Again, when you deal with infoboxes, you want to keep them fairly similar in appearance to each other
- Bonus is now capitalized
- colorizing - not to keep repeating, but colored text and table backgrounds is something we are really trying to steer away from
- formatting infoboxes - since infoboxes are an important "stylistic" feature of the wiki, the admin team generally prefers to make those changes just so we can keep tabs on what the standard appearance is going to be. The first week or so for a new infobox has some adjustments, yeah, but that's not unexpected
- tags table looks fine
- Inventory size - we have an editing process in place that verifies the value that is keyed in. So we can either allow S/M/L and display that, or allow Small/Medium/Large and display that
- Popups - this is something I haven't had time to investigate yet. I "think" you can do that, but just haven't gotten there <g>
- pilot - have fixed the pilot issue so it shows.
- planet parm - the available parms are there to provide maximum coverage for as many situations as we can. If you don't want to use the planet parm, leave it blank. If you don't want to use the Class parm, leave it blank. In general, the more of the parms you fill in the better but yes, there are some that won't get used much. I call this the food processor syndrome - you don't use it much, but when you need one, it's the only thing that does the job
Thanks for the quick response and adjustments.
- Table Width, Colorizing and Formatting: Ok gotta accept this so
- Ok for the Inventory size i suggest to stay with the Small/Medium/Large.
- Popups: Grate, hope it will be available soon and i would like to be the first to know about.
- Could you add '+' before bonus values if possible ? thx
Wow Thank You For The 'Popup-Thing' (You know what i mean) very very much :)
Sample Graphics[edit source]
- Good Idea ;)
- But i wouldlnt pick a random ship. Ill ask around in the hub if there is somebody who can make a general art for every Class :)
That's fine with me - every page looks better with graphics, and at least using a random ship gives an idea. I figured it might be hard to come up with a "typical" ship when everything is procedurally generated <g> Ddfairchild (talk) 01:02, 18 May 2017 (UTC)
About NMS-glyph font family[edit source]
- this font family was created by the designer - User:Ghuyajil
I have some experience with Lisp program language for more complex templates, feel free to leave requests on my talkpage - if you have ideas about a new functionality Win lee (talk) 18:44, 25 May 2018 (UTC)
- I see you added Template:Gl/Small in Gl group. I should warn your - NMS-glyph [OpenType] font family supports ClearType smoothing method in Windows [starting from XP version] - as a result, glyphs do not look very crisp at small sizes. I suppose readers need to have Apple's Retina display for seeing such small glyphs without blurriness. Win lee (talk) 09:28, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for the good points, and I do agree with them! The reason I ended up adding it is to allow a version of the glyphs to be displayed in the infobox for civspaces (see New Hub Order for an example). Anything bigger than this "small" size makes the infobox wider than it already often is. I will be closely reviewing any other usage of the small version, and recommending to the editor that they use one of the larger and cleaner sizes. Your very clear explanation should make that an easier sell, should the situation arises. Thanks! Ddfairchild (talk) 14:22, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
|New Hub Order|
|֎ Portal Glyphs ▼|
- Well, my first take on this is that the small version will be used very little. If there are more than a dozen pages than end up using it, I'd be surprised. That being the case, I figure it's ok to use what we've got for now. If I'm provided wrong and a lot of editors DO use it, then we can revisit. Thanks! Ddfairchild (talk) 18:10, 1 June 2018 (UTC)