- 1 more questions
- 2 editing infobox
- 3 Space Encounters 2/20/2020
- 4 Comments 9/25/2019
- 5 Thanks! 1/15/2019
- 6 I may have reversed your change by mistake 8/20/2018
- 7 Welcome 5/15/2016
- 8 Thanks from the Discovery Coalition 4/4/2017
- 9 Ayosenda S98 Starship Page 5/9/2017
- 10 Starship Catalogue 5/9/2017
- 11 Starship Catalogue - Update 5/10/2017
- 12 Sample Graphics 5/18/2017
- 13 About NMS-glyph font family 5/25/2018
more questions[edit source]
- oK, same topic, next questions. ( I want to do some work in the wiki today before I go ingame again, too many screenshots gathering, too many pages still WIP )
1) Logfiles vs Journal : I added a new Journal entry and did not like the layout at all. The issue is the name itself ( 1x Fynn McScrapp / 1x FynnMcScrap , creating 2 different journal entries. ) Could you pls change both Journal files to the same spelling ? FynnMcScrap is the correct handle, in all pages. Goal is to achieve a simple and elegant solution like this one : ( https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Category:Taka_No_Yaiba_journals ) ... instead of a list of "Journal: ABC Journals 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 on the website https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Category:Journals
- Done. All you have to do here is to change the username field - it uses that to determine what category to place your journals in. I made the modifications for you.
I would then simply link the T&T internal Logfiles index to the "Category:FynnMcScrap Journals" page with a short explanation how to add new entries and a general ToDo without posting a completely new entry every time. As far as I understand the categorisation that should list them in the correct order if I always edit the new journal entry with the same name and then a date ?
- Yes, you could do that. However, there are some issues to think about if you do it this way:
- 1) you can't include a description for each post. ("Salvaging Tour in Nurinas Nebula" for example with Journal 3).
- 2) the category page is updated immediately when the journal is created. You may not want to have an entry "show up" on your index page until you're finished with it
- 3) providing a link to the category page make the user have to click twice to get to the entry they want. One to get to the category page, and a second to pick the item. Having all the items listed on your index page means just one click
- Yes, you could do that. However, there are some issues to think about if you do it this way:
2) If I add pics to the journal entry, will that work or break the format ? Something like the <gallery> used on other pages ? I found no examples of other editors adding pics to journal entries, and I wonder why ?
- yes, you can add pictures to a journal entry. It looks like you've figure out how to do this, per your third journal entry.
3) How to format a "textbox" ?
I need something simple and adaptable and don't seem to get the hang of it. Goal is to use it for "communication" logs , like if Fynn sends a message to somebody. I would post a message in the relevant "talk" page to the editor, and log a communication log linked to T&T Archives for historical purposes. The editor can then decide if he wished to simply reply in the talk pages, or wants to log his own "communication" , perhaps even using the same template with his own Logo/signature.
A dream would be to have a template similar to the https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Special:FormEdit/Journal option you are offering, but that is as far from my skills as the center of Euclid is from my beloved Nurinas Nebula ;-)
I need a short box left, an larger (adaptable?) box in the middle, then a short box right, labled ( from left to right > Origin > Communication log > Status ) Perhaps a box on top of all three, with the text "Communication Log # XYZ" , and a space below to add screenshots if possible or available . ( Again the same question like in point 2 : Can I add a gallery to such a textbox without the pics/gallery ruining the formatting of the box in both desktop and mobile view ?
Do you have hints for me how to build such a template or could suggest a template ? I have little to no skills in scripting or programming, I work by copy/paste and tinkering with the results...
- OK on this one, here are my thoughts. First think I'd say is to remember what the point of this wiki really is. And that's to document the game of No Man's Sky. What I think you're asking here is for it to provide an additional messaging system between users, which is not really the intent. The message boards already provided by the wiki are where communication should take place; after all, that's why they are there <g> Any messages posted on your own message board are there permanently unless you choose to delete them, so you would always have those records. As far as retaining the messages you post for other users, you can create a page to do that if you want; just build a table and store the messages that way. You can set the table up to have the various cells and labels that you mention, and copy-and-paste in any relevant messages as desired.
editing infobox[edit source]
I tried adding 2 lines to the T&T Infobox : (| Databank = known Salvaging Sites , and | Archives = internal Logfiles ) Goal : To use the Infobox as a Navigator on all official T&T pages, linking the boxes to the internal logfiles and the salvage site Databank. ... computer says NO ? What did I miss ? Lordflinx (talk) 10:37, 20 July 2020 (UTC)
Space Encounters 2/20/2020[edit source]
Thank you for all of your edits. It looks much better! Also, LOL I just noticed the date.
The text in the quote I had was originally colored, which is why I input it that way before. Would it be acceptable to color it again?
There are several reasons why we do our best to avoid colored text in the wiki (although there are occasions here and there, but very few)
- prefer to let the wiki CSS handle text appearances as much as possible, with the common exceptions of bold and italics
- using color makes it more difficult for those who are color-blind to read and process the information
- while some editors may use color judiciously, others are not so skilled and have generated some pretty bad color combos. It's easier to keep things tamped down then to have to explain to one user why they didn't get to use color while someone else did
- certain colors may look good on one monitor, but not on another, or on a mobile device. Standard white text is readable just about everywhere.
- the same color can mean different things to different regions of the world. Some cultures use red for excitement. Others see it as a warning sign, and some areas of Africa consider red a symbol of death. So again, safer to stay with the white.
--- It seems that putting color wouldn't conflict with much of that.
- The colors are literally the colors that were used in the communication text in-game.
- Since red and purple would be the only two colors used, a color-blind person would typically view them as red or blue, which is still distinctive, and
- they are objective text not emotionally charged.
Up to you though. It would be something like:
- A rare object has entered your system. Disengage your Pulse Engine to view it.
I may just input an image of the communication text alongside it the next time I get the opportunity to do so. Whatever looks best.
- Actually, posting an image is the best solution by far, good thought. It provides an actual visual, plus the text is transcribed in the page for reading and searching. So yeah, if you receive another one of these, go ahead and modify the page to match the new one you found, and include a screenshot. I don't think we want to log ALL of these conversations as they are probably randomly generated, but having one for an example works. Thanks! Ddfairchild (talk) 15:39, 21 February 2020 (UTC)
Comments 9/25/2019[edit source]
That helps a great deal, thank you! One additional question: the way you mentioned adding bases, I took it as being a separate entry. Am I misunderstanding that or will this include them as part of the company?
Or will it become clear as I start the process - as I suspect? ;P
- You don't HAVE to add base pages, but I highly recommend that you do. That gives your company added exposure as you have multiple pages instead of just your company page. If it were me, I'd do my pages in this order:
- 1) create your company page
- 2) create the base pages, one for each base. Place a link to these pages on your company page.
- 3) create the star pages where your bases are located. On the star page, you can add a link to the base page.
- 4) create the planet pages where the bases are located. On the planet page, you can add a link to the base page.
Thanks! 1/15/2019[edit source]
I just wanted to thank you for correcting my mistakes. I haven't posted anything to a wiki before, so it's all new to me. Hope I didn't cause too much trouble for you! --Traveller Fletcher (talk) 03:07, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
I may have reversed your change by mistake 8/20/2018[edit source]
Hi. I may or may not have reversed your changes made on Condensed Carbon by mistake. Can you please check the page and see if it needs to be updated? My apologies. Kgptzac (talk) 02:23, 20 August 2018 (UTC)
Welcome 5/15/2016[edit source]
Thanks from the Discovery Coalition 4/4/2017[edit source]
Thank you for your contributions to the DC Page. I am currently overhauling the page with Links to pages containing Faction information & Recruitment to allow for ease of access. The entire page will eventually link to pages such as the CFO Faction Page. I am still new to the Wiki, and am very thankful for your contributions. Please continue to review my work if possible, and consider taking an active role as a DC Analyst.
Ayosenda S98 Starship Page 5/9/2017[edit source]
Thank you very much for the beautiful layout you've created. I will most definitely be updating it with my knowledge of the ship. Just one question, though: What does the pilot box mean? Dusk118 (talk) 03:48, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Some of our editors record the name of the NPC pilot of starships they encounter. Check page HUB3-G-CC_Makonis for some examples. And as with any infobox, you can choose which of the parameters you want to use. However, the more of them you DO use the better <g> The best solution is to include the entire infobox on your page and if you don't know the answer or just want to leave it blank, then that row doesn't show up.
- One thing to note: three of the rows only accept certain values. And if you don't enter one of those values, the data won't show up.
- Type (Shuttle Fighter Hauler Explorer)
- Class (C B A S)
- Inventory (Small Medium Large)
- Ah, I got you. For the record, ship classes are all the same no matter what ship it is. I just so happened to have discovered an S-class model of that one (which I still have). Honestly, I wish I could go back to the star system I found it in, because it was THE best star system I have ever found, before or since. Problem is, I'm in the Hilbert Dimension now, so any new information is unavailable to me unless I completely reset my Normal mode progress, which I have no intention of doing. Therefore, info like the coordinates of the system are lost to me unless Hello Games gives me a way to return. Dusk118 (talk) 04:03, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Hope you hadn't made TOO many starship pages that you'll need to go back and update with the new format <g> One thing to mention; you'll notice I removed the "maintained tag" and the "go back to Catalog tags". Those may be ok if you are doing a personal website, but you don't generally need to do that in a wiki as that information (as well as any changes) is stored on the History tab for the page. Ddfairchild (talk) 06:00, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
- Worry not, as this is the only starship page I contributed to the catalog, and it's one of only two ships in my fleet of six that I truly care about the most (the other being the fighter with the matching color palette as seen in the gallery). This ship left a massive imprint on me because of the amount of time I spent living with it, which is how I remembered most about where it came from, who flew it, and what the seller had in stock. Chances are I am never getting rid of it, and I've said that before in regards to the Ioganeio S45, but this time I mean it. The only possible way I could get rid of it is if I found the exact same model of ship in a much different color scheme. Dusk118 (talk) 06:05, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
Starship Catalogue 5/9/2017[edit source]
First things first: Thank you for the formatting.
- Image: I personally did like the big image header, but the standard as picture in the table for the wiki is ok.
- Summary: Well it will be more or less the same almost every ship.
- Table Content: A Ship can have any Class from C to S, so i don't think it is necessary to write that. For someone who don't know much about NMS might think, every ship has a set class (and thats wrong).
- Same concerns to the Bonuses. The exact same Starships won't have the exact same stats. In lower classes they will vary more likely then in high A- or S-Class. Even in S-Class they vary quiet a bit. So i would rather say Max. Disc. [XY] Bonus, like Dusk118 did at the beginning.
- Please change this small things if its ok. Would also be nice to have the '%' prefixed in the Bonuses like 'class' is actually prefixed. Otherwise you always have to type it 3 times per shippage. And maybe program it like you just type S/M/L for the Inventory Size and in the table it shows up as full word.
- Also im not sure if the Starships are the exactly the same across PS4 and PC. Do you maybe know ?
And is it possible to colorize specific text ?
- All good points - here's my feedback:
- using infoboxes is something we try do to a lot, especially for pages where we have a lot of the same category. We try to keep the pictures in those infoboxes roughly the same across the wiki. The big image header that was being used doesn't always scale well based on the platform users may be using, and means the user has to do a lot of scrolling to get past the picture and down to the text. If a user wants to see a big picture, they can click the thumb in the infobox and check out the details
- Summary - correct, and that's not an issue. Gives the reader a very brief overview before digging into details
- Table Content Class - good point. The field is there, but you don't have to use it. It does provide other editors the chance to use it, however, if they are documenting a specific ship that they have in their inventory that does have a specific class. I'd leave the parameter in the infobox table, and just not put a value there if you don't need it. That way if someone copies the infobox from your page to ::create one of their own, they have all the parms listed.
- Bonuses - have changed to use the Maximum phrase and append the % at the end
- All good points - here's my feedback:
I noticed you've added a planet parameter. This one is highly unnecessary because all ships appear throughout the star system, whether they are piloted by NPCs or found abandoned. I would suggest removing this parameter, but make the NPC pilot parameter visible, since I also noticed that one doesn't yet appear in the infobox if it's been filled in. Is it possible to get this addressed? Dusk118 (talk) 22:42, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: The Planet parameter is useful in terms of when a ship can only be found at a Trade Station on a specific Planet.
- I have visited literally hundreds of Trading Posts in my NMS career. Every ship in the star system shows up at every Trading Post, but sometimes it takes a little longer for some models to show up. The starships are not limited to specific planets by any means, making the planet tag useless. Also, Speecker, remember to sign your posts using the tip shown at the top of the editing page. Dusk118 (talk) 23:07, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: Some Ships will come more likely to a Trade Station
Ah right forgot to ask this :D Where do i find what amount of inventory slots count as Small / Medium / Large ? is there Medium anyway (just Small or Large) ?
- Just pay attention to how many slots a starship has in comparison to other ships of the same type. In my experience playing the game and checking the stats of hundreds of different ships, the Pathfinder update gave all the ships a common pattern. The best way to tell what the size of the inventory is is to find an A-class ship and see how many slots it has. From there, you can easily determine whether or not the ship's inventory is small, medium, or large. And yes, Medium inventory sizes are a thing. I have an S-class fighter with 29 slots, which is 9 slots less than the highest slot fighters I've found, but I also have an A-class fighter with 19 slots (10 slots less than the S fighter). This is how I know Medium inventory sizes exist. Dusk118 (talk) 23:19, 9 May 2017 (UTC)
@Dusk118: Ok but i don't really know what size which starship has. So can we just say for example 0-20 is small, 21-30 is medium and 31-48 is large ?
Starship Catalogue - Update 5/10/2017[edit source]
- Image: Ah right, didn't thought of the scaling whch will be different for any user. Done
- Summary: Done
- Table Content/Bonuses:
- Thanks for adding 'Maximum' and '%' prefixed.
- The Maximum Damage bonus could be in one line by increasing the table width to the left.
- I prefer a capitalization for 'Bonus' instead of 'bonus'.
Point 2 and 3 are just a question of a feast for the eyes.
- Colorize: By this i mean i would make the S-Class Tag behind a Starships name Gold/Yellow, the Starship with the currently highest Damage / Shield / Warp Bonus in Red / Blue / White in which White is available anyway and other Special Ships in Green. Highest Bonus Starships will most likely have multiple tags. Different colors on those tags will simplify the detection of information they give you. Colors are seen directly and theres no need to read / look closely at the Tags behind a Starships name.
Another Point for this is that the Highest Damage / Shield / Warp Tag only One Starship can have or only as much Starships that have the exact same Bonus can have. If you think Gold/Yellow Tags for S-Class Starships are too many you could change the color to White so the highest Warp Bonus would be Gold/Yellow (or any different color) so.
- Unmentioned lately: The 'Back to Starship Catalogue' change to 'See:'Starship Catalogue' in Category is just fine. The Idea behind this was to be able to quickly head back to the List (the Starship Catalogue) after scrolling down the Page. Otherwise you would have to click all the way from the NSM Wiki Home Page again or go back to the previous visited website (Starship Catalogue) to get back to the Starship Catalogue. And second option won't reload the Starship Catalogue Page for every user to see what ships you already looked at or didn't looked at yet. So thank you very much for keeping this 'feature'.
- Finally my open questions:
- Those formatting things can't be done by normal users/editors ? (i don't want to have a bad conscience to push you more little work)
- Is the Tags Table ok as it currently is ?
- For the Inventory Size: you overread it or do i have to write Small / Medium / Large instead of just s / m / l to fill it out ? just a question.
- You've said you're thinking about the popup-image thing. So did i understand it correctly that actually there is no such thing in the wiki, but you too think its a neat cool looking and helpful thing you would like to implement and don't know yet how to make this working ? Remember what i said about a pure list of names ? I would love to see this kind of popup-image thing and i'm sure others in the wiki will do so and use this 'feature' too. At the NMS GH it is also asked by many to have sort of a preview for the Starships appearance.
Thank you very much for the support so far - sincerely Speecker
- And I thought my kids asked a lot of questions! (glad to help <g>)
- table width - when working with infobox tables, the CSS under the covers does more to adjust the table size than you can change by just adjusting the width of the table. Again, when you deal with infoboxes, you want to keep them fairly similar in appearance to each other
- Bonus is now capitalized
- colorizing - not to keep repeating, but colored text and table backgrounds is something we are really trying to steer away from
- formatting infoboxes - since infoboxes are an important "stylistic" feature of the wiki, the admin team generally prefers to make those changes just so we can keep tabs on what the standard appearance is going to be. The first week or so for a new infobox has some adjustments, yeah, but that's not unexpected
- tags table looks fine
- Inventory size - we have an editing process in place that verifies the value that is keyed in. So we can either allow S/M/L and display that, or allow Small/Medium/Large and display that
- Popups - this is something I haven't had time to investigate yet. I "think" you can do that, but just haven't gotten there <g>
- pilot - have fixed the pilot issue so it shows.
- planet parm - the available parms are there to provide maximum coverage for as many situations as we can. If you don't want to use the planet parm, leave it blank. If you don't want to use the Class parm, leave it blank. In general, the more of the parms you fill in the better but yes, there are some that won't get used much. I call this the food processor syndrome - you don't use it much, but when you need one, it's the only thing that does the job
Thanks for the quick response and adjustments.
- Table Width, Colorizing and Formatting: Ok gotta accept this so
- Ok for the Inventory size i suggest to stay with the Small/Medium/Large.
- Popups: Grate, hope it will be available soon and i would like to be the first to know about.
- Could you add '+' before bonus values if possible ? thx
Wow Thank You For The 'Popup-Thing' (You know what i mean) very very much :)
Sample Graphics 5/18/2017[edit source]
- Good Idea ;)
- But i wouldn't pick a random ship. Ill ask around in the hub if there is somebody who can make a general art for every Class :)
That's fine with me - every page looks better with graphics, and at least using a random ship gives an idea. I figured it might be hard to come up with a "typical" ship when everything is procedurally generated <g> Ddfairchild (talk) 01:02, 18 May 2017 (UTC)
About NMS-glyph font family 5/25/2018[edit source]
- this font family was created by the designer - User:Ghuyajil
I have some experience with Lisp program language for more complex templates, feel free to leave requests on my talkpage - if you have ideas about a new functionality Win lee (talk) 18:44, 25 May 2018 (UTC)
- I see you added Template:Gl/Small in Gl group. I should warn your - NMS-glyph [OpenType] font family supports ClearType smoothing method in Windows [starting from XP version] - as a result, glyphs do not look very crisp at small sizes. I suppose readers need to have Apple's Retina display for seeing such small glyphs without blurriness. Win lee (talk) 09:28, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks for the good points, and I do agree with them! The reason I ended up adding it is to allow a version of the glyphs to be displayed in the infobox for civspaces (see New Hub Order for an example). Anything bigger than this "small" size makes the infobox wider than it already often is. I will be closely reviewing any other usage of the small version, and recommending to the editor that they use one of the larger and cleaner sizes. Your very clear explanation should make that an easier sell, should the situation arises. Thanks! Ddfairchild (talk) 14:22, 1 June 2018 (UTC)
|New Hub Order|
|֎ Portal Glyphs ▼|
- Well, my first take on this is that the small version will be used very little. If there are more than a dozen pages than end up using it, I'd be surprised. That being the case, I figure it's ok to use what we've got for now. If I'm provided wrong and a lot of editors DO use it, then we can revisit. Thanks! Ddfairchild (talk) 18:10, 1 June 2018 (UTC)